Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Perceived Exertion

It is fun paying attention to my 'perceived exertion rate' as I exercise this week.  Any distraction is good while I am doing the plank!  Greg says most workouts should be at Level 5-6 on the scale ~ "Level 5 is just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily" and "Level 6 is I can still talk, but am slightly breathless."  You can see how the scale will work for everyone because as your fitness improves your exertion rate will decrease and you have to step it up to reach your level of 5 or 6.  If you want to try interval training just add in some intensity blasts to 8 or 9 and recovery at 4 or 5.  You can do it with any workout ~ give it a try.  

This weeks challenge ~ add interval training to at least one workout this week. 

Perceived Exertion Scale
Level 1:  I'm watching TV and eating Bon Bons
Level 2:  I'm comfortable and could maintain this pace all day long
Level 3:  I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
Level 4:  I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry on a conversation effortlessly
Level 5:  I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily
Level 6:  I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
Level 7:  I can still talk, but I don't really want to.  I'm sweating like a pig
Level 8:  I can grunt in response to your questions and can only keep this pace for a short time period
Level 9:  I am probably going to die
Level 10:  I am dead
 

Check out MyPyramid.gov for interesting information on your daily recommended amounts for each food group and take a look at the tracker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment