Friday, November 30, 2012

"You only get better with practice"

Haines' very own John Svenson said this to me once as I was weeble-wobbling around on the slack line outside his home. I love this statement because it motivates two dimensionally: With practice you will get better and you will only get better if you practice.
By now each of you should have the formation of a personal vision statement. This statement acts as a clear representation of your ideal self. The journey toward ideal is life long. By entering this community challenge you are one step closer to reaching the ideal version of you. Solidifying this vision will provide meaning to your shorter term goals. Behavioral change requires practice. You will have to work for it, give it time and put action behind it.
This week, the challenge is to use your journal (the one we provided or any other form you choose). Every morning you will look at your journal and read your intention for the week. Each night you will reflect on your day, specifically your intention. Try to make these reflections of successes and opportunities for growth.
At a past challenge we had Chorus Bishop talk with us about discipline and the three fundamental principles in Seibukan Jujutsu: Awareness, Assessment and Action.
Read more about it on this post "discipline who-likes-that-word"
Using this method, might prove helpful for learning self reflection in a productive manner.
Let's look at an example. Intention - This week I will run for 30 min 5 days per week. Reflection - I did not run today - I neglected to take clothes to work and it was cold and windy. My motivation to run was not strong enough to over come these pseudo excuses. It may be helpful to recruit a buddy to increase my accountability (Awareness and Assessment). Before bed tonight I will contact and make a commitment with one of my friends for a run date tomorrow. I will also pack my clothes tonight and put them by the door (Action).   

Journaling is a daily practice of getting to know our inner self. By truly recognizing and accepting our own strengths and weaknesses then we can begin to maximize and overcome. You only get better with practice.
Be Well and Fit!

4 comments:

  1. Good Article- This is my third try to post, hope it works Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful article for incentive this week. I will be able to use this for the rest of my life. See you tonight. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a good holiday! See you in Jan.

    ReplyDelete