Tuesday, October 12, 2010

In Defense Of Food

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. That more or less is the short answer to the supposedly incredibly complicated and confusing question of what we humans should eat in order to be maximally healthy." ~Michael Pollan
The above is the opening paragraph from, In Defense of Food by Mr. Pollan. While Nancy McGrew RD, spoke to us last week I could not get the first three statements out of my head. Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. If I was to put Nancy's recommendations together with Pollan's this is the 5 point mantra I would learn and repeat.
1. Eat Food
2. Whole Food from the source
3. Not too much
4. Mostly Plants
5. Keep variety and enjoyment
I know when it comes to food it is not really this simple. Food seems to take on its own relationships for people. Be it social, emotional or just entertainment. For many food is no longer simply fuel or nutritional support. How do we keep the enjoyment of food and remember it is meant to be a source of fuel, not much more? I certainly can not pretend to know the global answer to this question. I can take what I have learned from the WFCC so far and try to start developing my own balanced healthy relationship with food.
The unofficial challenge for this week is to think about your thoughts on food. Be ready to share one or two of these with your friends. 

The official challenge for this week is to attend a community exercise class that you do not regularly participate in. This will be worth one point for each class. You will have until 10/29/10 to complete.

Thurs 10/22/10 Laurie Dadorian will take us down a level with the Relaxation Response.

Lastly, I appologize for the late posting. No point for me this week. ~ m

No comments:

Post a Comment